Sustainable Fashion 101: A Look At Everything You Need To Know!
It may sound surprising, but more than 50% of fast fashion is typically discarded within a year of production. The term ‘sustainable fashion’ makes more sense now than ever before. For the uninitiated, sustainable fashion is all about minimizing environmental impact of fashion by adhering to the right practices, and it doesn’t just apply to the brands and labels, but also to each one of us. Sustainable clothing is on the rise, and every person should consider this as an option. Here are some of the aspects worth knowing.
Does sustainable fashion really matter?
Absolutely! Reducing environmental footprint of human activities is the essence of sustainability, and sustainable fashion is just about that. If you consider the larger picture, you will realize that fashion has an impact on the planet in more ways than one. Think of the number of chemicals used for growing cotton plants, or the dyes that are used for fabrics, most of which are toxic. At a time when some of the biggest brands have pledged for sustainable fashion, there is no way you can shy away from the current need, because it is, indeed, about the future.
How can you adhere to sustainable fashion?
To be fair, it may take a while to understand how sustainable fashion may work for you, but every step does count. Here are some of the basic tips that you can follow.
- Think of your shopping habits. You only need a handful of clothes each day. The first cliché but important tip is to buy what you really require. Avoid over-shopping.
- Share, borrow, and reuse. Don’t throw away those old clothes; someone could use them. If you have a set of friends, exchange and share your clothes.
- Support the cause. It is necessary to encourage brands and companies that are supporting and working for the cause of sustainable fashion. Check for eco-friendly brands or at least those that are adhering to specific production standards.
- Watch your detergents and fabric conditioners. Make sure that you are using products that are not harmful for the planet. Even the detergent you use can contain considerable chemicals that can damage the environment.
- Check for the right labels. Many brands in the US are using minimal energy and are adhering to stringent production standards to make sustainable fashion a reality. Buy organic clothing and if possible, stick to naturals online.
Not to forget, share with everyone what sustainable fashion is all about.